"Amram dazzled with his versatility ...
Video Highlights from the archive
One could be but awed by his range...
Amram was constantly enlightening."
...The London Times
Videos of David Amram are extant as far back as the 1977, when PBS broadcast "The World of David Amram" featuring David and special guests including members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and singer/songwriter Steve Goodman. Videos of David are collected in a special archive and feature guests such as Dizzy Gillespie, Warren Zevon, Johnny Depp, Willie Nelson, Pete Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, Lawrence Felingehetti, Keir Dullea, Tom Paxton, Levon Helm, David Bromberg, Raffi, The Amigos Band and Candido, to name a few.
The videos include performances of some of Amram's many compositions, songs and improvisations such as Triple Concerto, After the Fall, Pull My Daisy, In Memory of Chano Pozo, Symphonic Variations on a song by Woody Guthrie, Blues and Variations for Monk, Alfred The Hog, Brazilian Memories, Variations on Red River Valley, The Ballad of the Texas Mongoose, in addition to many other traditional tunes and songs by modern singer/songwriters.
The trailer to Lawrence Kraman's documentary about Amram's life and work, David Amram, The First 80 Years is posted as well as news programs and TV specials about Amram and videos of David speaking about subjects such as, Jack Kerouac, Dmitri Mitropoulos, Greenwich Village, Elia Kazan and Thelonius Monk. Videos include performances on the public radio show E-Town, at The National Folk alliance, Clearwater Music Festival, Philadelphia Folk Festival, Kerrville Folk Festival, Cornelia Street Cafe, Columbia University, Montreal Jazz festival, Farm Aid, Folk City and many others.
To view the whole archive, click here...
Here are some highlights from the David Amram Video archive:
- Folk Alliance International video tribute of David Amram for his Lifetime Achievement Award (2017)
- DAVID AMRAM: The First 80 Years (film trailer) 2008
- Dizzy Gillespie & David Amram for Thelonious Monk tribute PBS (1987)
- David Amram - Pull My Daisy E-Town National Radio +TV Concert Amram singing and scatting his song for Robert Frank/Alfred Leslie/Jack Kerouac 1959 film score he composed.(2016)
- David Amram - "What a Wonderful World" - E-Town National Radio and TV Concert (2016)
- David Amram conducts and solos for his composition Triple Concerto for woodwind, brass and jazz quintets with members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Broacast nationally for the PBS special "The World of David Amram" in 1977.
Copyright © 2019 by David Amram
All rights reserved